Friday, December 29, 2006

I Demand a Refund

The English Cricket Team, and I use that phrase in the loosest possible manner, owe me. Big time. To capitulate a cricket test inside three days does the game a disservice and makes me feel cheated. Cheated of up to two days entertainment. Cheated of those knuckle munching, heart-pumping moments which test cricket can provide more than any other sport. Cheated of the opportunity to provide a audio visual backdrop to the guests at my Ashes Barbeque (the ashes being the cricket and the excuse for the barbeque - not the result of overcooking).

I am not alone I am sure. Across every continent closely following the Ashes (and that includes Antarctica - where the scientists at Mawson base station no doubt gather closely around the radio for warmth if not for any other reason - but not North America - and this is another reason for the greatness of the game) the boredom follwing the early finish has resulted in:

a) the execution of Saddam Hussein
b) a ferry sinking in Indonesia resulting in 500 deaths
c) the Australian national holiday road toll rising to 38

For the sake of humanity I urge the English cricket team to consider the consequences of their actions (or lack therof). Either that or cash. I'm happy both ways.

No comments: